30 Jun FortisBC – Ice Rink Resurfacing Efficiency Pilot Program Measurement & Verification Results
Posted at 21:21h in FortisBC
- 90% of the pilot participants successfully adapted their operations to the REALice® technology.
- The achieved ice quality was evaluated from acceptable to excellent.
- FortisBC quantified the average savings across the participating pilot arenas at 330 GJ in Natural Gas per year
- Across the pilot arenas, an increase of the slab temperature was required at all sites and an average increase of 3°F was observed. A reduction in the ice slab thickness on average by 0.25 – 0.5 inch was noted also.
- Electricity savings through increasing the slab temperature (approx. 20,000 kWh per 1.8°F) and reduction of the ice thickness are significant and can be added on top of the calculated electricity savings from the Fortis report. Please refer to: Ice Rink Resurfacing Efficiency Pilot – Summary of Study Results.pdf to see internal results and estimates from some of the arenas also.